Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What makes NZLocums & NZMedJobs different to other agencies recruiting for NZ and Australia?

Most importantly, we are a not-for-profit service specifically for rural communities in New Zealand. Unlike other recruitment agencies we don’t charge a fee to either the practice or the locum for our recruitment services.

Will I be able to move to New Zealand during COVID?

Yes, NZLocums & NZMedJobs can still assist with placements in New Zealand while Covid-19 restrictions remain in place. There are some additional steps in the Visa application requirements and we will guide you through this process.

Do I need to be vaccinated for COVID to work in New Zealand as a health professional?

Yes, all health workers in New Zealand must be vaccinated. Some health workers may be exempt under some circumstances.

Will I be required to undergo managed isolation after arrival in New Zealand?

From 14 November 2021 the managed isolation period for international arrivals into New Zealand will reduce from 14 days to 7 days, followed by isolation at home until the result of a day 9 test has been received. NZLocums & NZMedJobs will assist you in securing an MIQ position.

Where are the vacancies?

Short term, long term and permanent vacancies are available throughout rural or urban New Zealand. For more information please visit our rural or urban vacancies page or register now.

How do I get registered / licensed to practice?

Before you can work as a medical practitioner in New Zealand you will need to apply for registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand. NZLocums & NZMedJobs can advise you on your eligibility for registration and we will work with you throughout the registration process.

Does NZLocums & NZMedJobs support internationally qualified nurses to register and work in New Zealand?

Not at this stage. Our focus is working with internationally qualified medical practitioners. New Zealand registered Nurse Practitioners (NPs) work with us as roving locums (contact us for more advice).

How do I get registered as a Nurse Practitioner (NP) in New Zealand?

Internationally qualified nurses, including registered nurses and NPs from the US, Canada and the UK need to register as a registered nurse with the Nursing Council of New Zealand – see IQN home.  They must then apply and meet the criteria required for registration in the NP scope of practice – see Nurse practitioner.

What is the minimum contract length an overseas-trained GP can work when arriving in New Zealand for the first time?

We ideally like an overseas-trained GP to have a minimum six month placement when coming to work in New Zealand for the first time.

Will I be required to sit and pass an English Language test?

You may be required to provide proof of your English proficiency before you are able to apply for medical registration. The two MCNZ approved Language Tests are the academic module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Occupational English Test (OET). The IELTS is the more commonly sat test as there are more test centre locations (though the OET can be sat online) and it costs less than the OET. For more information about the MCNZ English language required click on the following link – English policy

Do I have to have medical indemnity insurance?

Yes, you are required to have indemnity insurance if you are practicing as a doctor in New Zealand.

Will I have to work on-call?

Most rural practices have an on-call element as part of the role. On-call may require the doctor to be on-call overnight or just a few hours until 8.00pm or 9.00pm when the rural hospital takes over. NZLocums & NZMedJobs will discuss with you on-call arrangements in advance of any placement.

Is accommodation provided?

If you are working as a roving locum, your accommodation will be provided and the cost covered during all your short-term placements. For long term and permanent placements, the practice may be able to assist with accommodation costs.

Is a car provided?

If you are working as a roving locum you will be provided with a vehicle during your placements. If you are on a long-term or permanent contract the practice may provide a vehicle for use initially (or in some instances for the duration of the placement).

What is the cost of living like?

What it costs to live in New Zealand may be quite different from your home country. How it compares depends on where you are coming from and what part of New Zealand you settle in.

The New Zealand Immigration Service has a useful website to give you an idea of the cost of living.

Do I need health insurance or am I covered under the New Zealand Public Health System?

If your Visa will entitle you to be in New Zealand for two years or more, you will be eligible for access to the New Zealand public health system. If your Visa will entitle you to be in New Zealand for less than two years, we highly recommend you obtain private health insurance as you will not be eligible for access to the New Zealand public health system. See the Ministry of Health website for further information on this.

How does childcare and schooling work for my children?

If your children are under five years old early childhood education (ECE) is available for them. If your children are over five years old they can attend school in New Zealand.  For more information about schooling in New Zealand visit the Ministry of Education website.

Do you provide immigration advice to move to New Zealand?

For immigration advice, please visit Immigration NZ.

Is there someone who has worked in New Zealand that I could talk to?

Absolutely!  Lots of doctors who have worked through NZLocums are happy for us to pass on their email addresses.  Just ask us for their contact details.

Is Orientation for overseas trained GPs and Practice Nurses available when the restrictions on domestic travel are in place due to COVID?

Yes, Orientation programme will be offered online when a face-to-face meeting is unavailable; however, some of the programme contents are not virtually available.

What costs do I have to cover?

  1. Professional indemnity insurance (essential in New Zealand)
  2. Flights to and from New Zealand for you and your family (we cannot cover the cost of your family’s travel around New Zealand)
  3. While New Zealand is generally regarded as a safe place for travellers, it is recommended that all visitors  have relevant insurance protection. Please remember to buy your travel insurance before you arrive here
  4. Work visa application
  5. Medical Council of New Zealand registration fees

In some instances the practice may be able to cover some of the above costs as part of your remuneration package. Please note there may be other costs that are not included above and may incur depending on different individual circumstances.

© NZRGPN 2022 | Site by Creative Marketing | Privacy Policy