Get the best introduction to New Zealand's health system through our unique Orientation course.
Whether you are attending this informative three-day Orientation independently, or through our recruitment service, the monthly course is suitable for both overseas GPs, and Practice Nurses.
The course is endorsed by the Royal New Zealand College of GPs for up to 18.5 credits CME.
Contact us to enquire about our Orientation Course.
NZLocums is the only organisation in New Zealand providing a comprehensive orientation course tailor-made for internationally trained doctors who are coming to work in New Zealand. This is a three day course which runs monthly and is held in the NZLocums’ office in Wellington. All doctors who are coming from overseas are encouraged to attend before starting work. This course is CME accredited by the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners.
The orientation course offers presentations on a wide range of the New Zealand health system. The selection of topics covered includes:
- Introduction to general practice in New Zealand
- Overview of nurse’s role in New Zealand
- Resuscitation workshop
- PHARMAC (Pharmaceutical Management Agency of NZ)
- Taxes – your obligations
- Work and Income
- Medical Protection Society
- ACC (New Zealand’s no-fault accident cover for NZ residents and visitors to New Zealand)
- Medtech32 training (New Zealand’s main patient information system)
- Maori culture and health
- Mental health initiatives
- Health and safety
- Open bank account, if required
- Overview of contract, payment and invoicing process for locums
- Medical Council of New Zealand interview
Accommodation for your stay in Wellington can be arranged through us.
There are many things in Wellington to entertain your family whilst you are attending the course – all located within a short stroll from your hotel:
Orientation to a new practice
Once you arrive at a new practice, it is expected that you will receive a practice-specific orientation to get to know the local set up and team.