Get the best introduction to New Zealand's health system through our unique Orientation course.
Whether you are attending this informative three-day Orientation independently, or through our recruitment service, the monthly course is suitable for both overseas GPs, and Practice Nurses.
The course is endorsed by the Royal New Zealand College of GPs for up to 18.5 credits CME.
Contact us to enquire about our Orientation Course.
NZLocums is the only organisation in New Zealand providing a comprehensive orientation course tailor-made for internationally trained doctors who are coming to work in New Zealand. This is a three-day course which runs monthly. The venue is the NZLocums’ office in Wellington. NZLocums Orientation is CME accredited by the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners.
All doctors who are coming from overseas are encouraged to attend Orientation before they begin practising. Registration information can be found here. Internationally trained doctors who are recruited by NZLocums will be enrolled to the course as part of their arrival package.
The Orientation offers presentations on a wide range of the New Zealand health system. The selection of topics covered includes:
- Introduction to general practice in New Zealand
- Overview of rural nurse’s role in New Zealand
- Resuscitation workshop
- PHARMAC (Pharmaceutical Management Agency of NZ)
- Taxes – your obligations
- Work and Income
- Medical Protection Society
- ACC (New Zealand’s no-fault accident cover for NZ residents and visitors to New Zealand)
- Medtech32 training (New Zealand’s main patient information system)
- Maori culture and health
- Mental health initiatives
- Driving in New Zealand
- Open bank account, if required
- Medical Council of New Zealand registration meeting
Accommodation in Wellington can be arranged through us.
There are many things in Wellington to entertain your family whilst you are attending the course – all located within a short stroll from your hotel:
Orientation to a new practice
Once you arrive at your practice, it is expected that you will receive a practice-specific orientation to get to know the local set up and team.